Doing Business with South Carolina Department of Transportation

Encroachment Permit Application Site

The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) uses an automated Encroachment Permit Processing System (EPPS) to accept, process, and manage permit requests and to issue Encroachment Permits.

Please read this page carefully to determine how best to utilize this system.

Existing customers, click the login button below.

Click Here to Change Password

(You will need to know your current password to change it)

Forgot password ? Email Us or call us toll free 855-GO-SCDOT (855-467-2368)
Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.

Need Assistance logging into EPPS?

  • Internet Explorer version 9 or later (recommended).
  • Remember that passwords are case sensitive (i.e., check caps lock)
  • Username includes the domain name followed by the backslash (scdotdmz\username)
  • Select "Use another Account" if given the option in the login window. Note: The "Use another account" option will appear if you enter the wrong username or password or if you click the "Remember my credentials" checkbox.
Videos and guides:

If you are still having trouble logging in or have questions on using EPPS, please Email Us or call us toll free 855-GO-SCDOT (855-467-2368) or 803-737-2314 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.

How is an encroachment permit obtained?

The South Carolina Department of Transportation provides several methods for obtaining an encroachment permit.

  1. For low volume or one time only customers (one who submits 2 or less applications in one calendar year or one who submits 1 application per customer lifetime), SCDOT currently provides an electronic form (e-form) submission process for permits in all Counties. For more information on filling out the electronic (e-form), click the "Form Use Instructions" link after opening the form. An account is not required to use this form; however, the following Encroachment types are NOT available, unless you request an account:
    • Driveway - Commercial
    • Driveway - Multiple Residential/Subdivision
    • Municipality/Local Funded Project
    • Other
    • Road Connection (non-Driveway)
    • Schools
    • Blanket Permits
    Note: If you need one of the above Encroachment Types, you must request an account by clicking "Request an account" link below.
  2. For high volume customers, SCDOT provides an online permit management system which can be accessed at any time. An Account is required for this service and can be obtained from SCDOT by submitting an account request. Request an account here.

Visit the appropriate SCDOT County Office. All necessary forms and instructions will be available. To prevent delays, bring all accompanying materials to the office with you (see checklist below).

Guidelines for completing the encroachment permit application

  • Provide the name and address of the applicant (owner).
  • Provide a telephone number(s) at which the contact person may be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Provide the name of the contact person if it is different from the applicant.
  • Provide the name of the county, road or route number, and road name.
  • Select the most appropriate type of encroachment from the selection menu and provide a detailed description of the planned encroachment.
  • Provide a description of the location. For example, 2.1 miles north of intersection of Road S-04-22 or 300 feet west of Road S-04-66. This information shall also be included on the drawing as instructed in the permit application checklist.
  • Provide applicants name and date of application.
  • Have all accompanying material ready for submission (see checklist below).
  • All applications must be signed and submitted (scanned and emailed, faxed, mailed or hand-delivered) to the corresponding SCDOT County Office

Why do I need an encroachment permit?

South Carolina Law Sections 57-1-370, 57-1-460, 57-3-110, 57-5-1080, and 57-5-1090

What is an encroachment permit?

The Encroachment Permit establishes a uniform standard for encroachment upon roads in the State Highway System so as to provide for the safe and efficient movement of traffic while allowing reasonable access to abutting property. The Application for Encroachment Permit is a request to SCDOT for permission to perform work on SCDOT maintained rights-of-way. An approved permit grants the Applicant permission to encroach on the roadway within the guidelines established on the permit.

What to expect from SCDOT

  • The application will be reviewed to ensure it is complete.
  • The location will be evaluated.
  • The Department will provide the date by which the work is to be completed.
  • The Department will add any special provisions to the permit. For example: The applicant shall erect Department approved stop signs or work shall only be done between hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays.
  • Once the application is reviewed and approved, the application will be signed by the appropriate SCDOT representative, a permit number will be assigned, and a copy of the approved Encroachment Permit will be sent to the applicant.

Encroachment permit application checklist

Permit Form: The completed form is required.

Drawing: Give details of the proposed work and existing conditions and including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Roadway on which the encroachment is located
  • Direction and distance to the nearest intersecting state and county roadways, if applicable
  • North arrow
  • Drawing to scale. For example, 1in = 20ft (1:240), 1in = 50ft (1:600), etc.
  • Existing and proposed roadway geometry including pavement widths, curves, driveways, etc.
  • Existing and proposed pavement design, if applicable
  • Existing and proposed drainage features with flow direction
  • Existing right-of-way and associated property lines
  • Existing sight distance, if applicable
  • Existing and proposed structures, if applicable
  • Proposed utility work
  • Traffic Control Plan, if applicable
  • Erosion control

Note: If submitting a hardcopy application, drawing should be submitted on 8 1/2in x 11in [or 11in x 17in] size paper. A 36in x 22in site plan showing the relationship of the driveways to the circulation plan and the site development may be required. It is recommended that a 36in x 22in site plan be submitted initially to facilitate review of the application.
All Drawings Must Be To Scale!

Proof of Bonding: Evidence of any required bond must accompany the permit application.

Storm Water Management and Sediment Control Plan: All applications for encroachment permits that involve bringing storm water runoff or sediment to the highway for a developed area of 2 acres or more must include a copy of a Storm Water Management and Sediment Control Plan approved by DHEC, the local government, or the conservation district responsible for approving such plans pursuant to The Storm Water Management and Sediment Reduction Act. See S. C. Code Ann. Section 4814-10, et seq. (Supp. 1995). The plan should include drainage design computations. If the area is less than 2 acres, the application must include a drainage plan with supporting design computations limiting the post construction 10-year peak discharge to the pre-developed 10-year peak.

Bridges, Culverts, Retaining Walls or other Significant Structures: All applications for encroachment permits that involve these types of structures must include a signed and sealed copy of the Geotechnical Report, Hydrology Report, Construction Plans and Documents, and Structural Design Calculations as outlined in Chapter 12 of the Access and Roadside Management Standards Access and Roadside Management Standards (ARMS).

Note: Additional information about encroachment permit application may be found in Access and Roadside Management Standards published by SCDOT and can be found on the SCDOT internet site.
A copy of this manual may be obtained at:

Traffic Engineering Section
955 Park Street
P. O. Box 191
Columbia, South Carolina 29202 - 0191

Related Manuals and Publications:

These are useful links to various manuals and codes that could affect your Encroachment Permit.
ARMS Manual
ARMS Errata Sheet
Encroachment Permit Appeal Process Added April 2015
MUTCD Manual (2009 edition)
SCDOT Supplement to the MUTCD
SCDOT Traffic Engineering Manuals

Note: Blanket Permits for utility companies should be submitted through the Encroachment Permit Processing System (EPPS). You must have an account to submit a Blanket Permit.

To view PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader