Skip to main content

How do I file a claim against SCDOT?

The South Carolina Tort Claims Act (Section 15-78-10) allows an individual to file a claim against the Agency. To file a claim against SCDOT, a Damage Claim Form (Form 2062) can be filled out. An individual has one year from the date of occurrence to file a damage claim. Under the South Carolina Tort Claims Act, the Agency or its insurance carrier has 180 days after a claim is received to make a decision whether the claim is paid or denied.

To file a claim for damage resulting from a roadway condition, fill out a Damage Claim Form (Updated 01/2014) and submit this form along with two repair estimates or a paid invoice to the SCDOT Maintenance Office in the county where the incident occurred. If the claim is being submitted for damage to a registered vehicle, the registered owner(s) must be the claimant(s) and a copy of the vehicle registration must be included.

Contact the SCDOT Claims Office for questions on filing a claim:
South Carolina Department of Transportation
Attention: Claims Office
P. O. Box 191
Columbia, SC 29202
Telephone: (803) 737-1260